International Reggae Day is observed on July 1st, 2022! The music genre finds its roots etched in Jamaica and is an integral part of the country’s culture. Reggae is a mix of rhythm and blues, calypso, African, and Latin American music.
Here are five ways you can celebrate this special day:
1. Listen to some of your favorite reggae songs and tunes on the radio, online, or in your car.
2. Watch some inspiring reggae films and documentaries.
3. Learn about the history and importance of reggae music by reading articles or watching videos about it.
4. Get involved with a local Reggae festival or event!
5. Celebrate with some friends and family members who share your love for reggae music!
And it is this year being celebrated under the theme ‘60 years of ska music’.
Here are 15 songs the organisers want you to add to your playlist!
1. My Boy Lollipop — Millie Small
2. Eastern Standard Time — Don Drummond
3. Guns of Navarone — The Skatalites
4. Forward March — Derrick Morgan
5. I’ll Never Grow Old — The Maytals
6. Ska War — The Maytals
7. Easy Snapping — Theophilus Beckford
8. Isrealites — Desmond Dekker
9. Simmer Down — The Wailers
10. Al Capone — Prince Buster
11. Boogie in My Bones — Laurel Aiken
12. World’s Fair — Skatalites, Ken Boothe, Stranger Cole
13. Jamaican Ska — Byron Lee & the Dragonnaires
14. One Eyed Jack — Jimmy Cliff
15. Carry Go Bring Come — Justin Hinds